Thursday, March 12, 2009

American Idol 8 - Top 13 Performance

The first night on the big stage seems to be a not so bad show.. yeah.. "not so bad" why? Because we can't hide the fact that most of the finalist either sang "off keys", "over-the-top" or tried to impressed too much.. I don't know, that's what I feel while watching the episode.

I even ask some of the people who are watching with me on what they thought about the singers after their performances. Most of our comments are the same but there are some which are not. I'm just wondering, am I listening a differently? Watching a different show? Well anyway...

They start the show by introducing the four judges which are standing from the big stage before they walk through and head to their table.. I can't remember they do this before.. I'm quite not sure.. :(. Followed by Seacrest - end

Below are the list of the night performances from which I think are the strongest to the weakest:

____

Matt Giraud - Some people will find me bias about this. Why? Because they much prefer and most of them agreed that Adam Lambert has the best performance of the night.. well sorry not to join the club.. this is my moment so let me do this on my own way :D - peace

Okay, he sings "Human Nature" while playing the grand piano (grand ba tawag dun?). I really like his solid current soulful voice. This is definitely his things.. a very nice performance. There are some pitch problem specially when he uses some falsetto but, boy, I really like it. I wasn't able to chat down the judges comment since its a bit quick and I was distructed.. anyway I heared Simon calls it "meat and potatoes solid" performance. Is he safe for elimination? Definitely safe!

____

Adam Lambert - He is on my second pick of having the best night. He sings "Black and White". He is a rocker.. that is obvious. He can pull any songs he want to perform and make it what he wants to do with it.. remember the upbeat "Do You Believe" by Cher? yeah that's what I mean.

I don't like his low notes.. really hated it much. But I somewhat feel the shouting is overdone. Well it what's other people love about him.. He have a different ability. I just really feel disconnected.

____

Lil Rounds - sings "The Way You Make Me Feel". My another Jacko's songs favorite. I think she really pull that performance. Though its not powerful as what she does on the semis of top 36, it shows how different she is. A few touch on the arrangement which is good and nice. She seems to be very much comfortable on the stage. One of the best performances of the night and best to start a final... I will add.

____

Danny Gokey - Sings "Pretty Young Thing". Well, I'm grateful that they didn't dig the "death wife" thing again on his few moments.. and that's what I love on his time. The performance is abstract for me. His voice is surely good, the dancing is a bit distracting. But all in all he have a good to so-so performance.

Paula drops the "You're on your way to the finals" bomb on this man. My answer.. well its too early to predict .... ma'am. :D

____

Alexis Grace - sings "Dirty Diana". I want to put her on the 3rd or 4th slot, but she just over sang the song a little bit. I love the performance - yes - and very clear that she is one of the best singers in this season. I love they way how she moved on the stage. She definitely want to be "dirty" trying to be sexy? hahaha. Anyway, she got a few words from the judges (I think they running out of time - by flirting on each other - grrr) like: "I like it" from Randy, "Naughty girl" from Kara, "Fantastic" from Paula and "Over the top" from Simon.

____

Kris Allen - sings "Remember The Time". Another Favorite. I choose him over Michael Sarver since I much feel his passion by presenting this song. I just don't like the act of bringing and playing his acoustic guitar to his performance.. Its a little bit awkward. "Clumsy" as per Simon... hmm well I want to agree.. but I think its his way to be at ease on the big stage. His soulful voice is very pleasant to listen.

Good to know that he helped some of the contestant... very nice of him. A cool guy I think. Simon tried to ruin the evening by commenting about kris's wife "you should have hid her for a while" - what? What's the problem of showing your better half if you have one? I feel bad for the wife - and she looks not happy about hearing that :( - ngey!

____

Michael Sarver - Okay so the rig guy really can sing. He sings "You Are Not Alone". He is a balladeer! He got a powerful voice there. Much better performance than his semis. One of the best vocal and supposed to earn my 5th spot but due to his vibrato.. I feel distracted that I never feel his message on the songs. He will sure to come back next week again to perform.

____

Scott McIntyre - He sings "Keeps The Faith". An unfamiliar song for me. But I heard from Paula that it hit #1 in Norway.. wow. Anyway, he plays with the piano. The songs just fit to his voice, a very much good performance from him so far. The judges loves it and so do I, except from Simon who are too proud to say "I hated the song". The song writer is in the audience and one of the people who gave Scotty a standing ovation.

Can he hold on the game? I bet yes! He is a very talented guy.

____

Meagan Joy Corkrey - She is soooo lovely. I really fall for her. This is a very tricky one. I love her voice.. I am really a fan. She sings "Rockin' Robin" and I don't know if the song benefited her voice. She surely do her part to change the song and becomes her own. I think not a best song choice for her but we will surely not forget her. Kara (who?) strikes a nonsense comment " It's very Meagan" - wahhh.. that is the only she can give. Still love her Corkrey dance move though Simon really hates it. Still got a big chance to come back again.

____

Allison Iraheta - sings "Give In To Me". She knows what she wants to do. She is a rocker! yey!
Not the best performance for her but the voice is still interesting. I can't understand words on some parts of the songs which made me think that she have a chance to be eliminated (alright I just made this prediction). She is young so there might a chance of her to be spared to be eliminated. All the judges loves her!

____

Jorge Nuñez - sings "Never Can Say Goodbye". I am a bit disappointed on the performance.. It's very weak and definitely a bad song choice for him. I agree with the judges. Though he shows us his range and how well he can sing, the lack of emotional connection made him one of the weaklings. I just do hope that Spanish speaking people in America give him chance to comeback again.

____

Anoop Desai - sings "Beat it". A very wrong song choice for him. The energy is lack but you can sense he is trying. Very uncomfortable stage presence and the voice is missing. I don't think upbeat and fast tempo songs is suited for his voice. Everything is not in the right place.. I'm so sad. I agree with Paula, the song is untouchable... anything else sounds karaoke.

I hope he will be saved by lots of Asian-American. I really really like this kid.

____

Jasmine Murray - Well she just proved me that she really doesn't deserve to be there. She sings "I'll Be There" one of the Jackson five's trade mark. Its a total mess. She is a bit of shouting on most part of her performance. The judges seems to be kind of her. I don't understand why. My sure pick to leave on the elimination night!

____

So there, not a bad start for an AI Final.. no forgotten lyrics.. hehehe.. Simon looks like behaving a little bit :D.

Picked to be on the bottom would be Jasmine Murray, Jorge Nuñez, Allison Iraheta and Anoop Desai. My picked to be eliminated would be Jasmine and Anoop though I'm hoping it would be another one.

Simon talks about a twist on the result show. Wondering what would it be. Some says the judges will have to say if a booted contestant will be staying or not.. it will be their call. Well I'm not against with the idea.. but I'm not sure if it will be appealing to me.

No comments: