Friday, March 27, 2009

American Idol 8 Top 10 - Performance (Motown)

We have a very informative and entertaining night in AI last night. I love Motown music but haven't tried to check where it began. I thought that its just a simple record label for a kind of music.. I was wrong. Anyway, so Motown derived from the word "Motor" and "Town" which is based in Detroit.. wow!

When was the last "Motown" theme on AI? Not quite sure bout it really.. but as I remember (if this is correct) the last time was in Season 3... Love John Peter Lewis "This Heart Of Mine".. yay! So I'm very glad they bring back the music this time...

Okay, so the performance last night is far greater than the first two episodes... in my opinion. Most of the contestant really feel and put themselves into the competition and not holding back and not hesitate to bring their cards on the table. I like the other who try to jump into their comfort zones, try new, reprised and make the songs their own.

So below are the Top 10 Finalist performances listed from my favorite to least.

____

Adam Lambert - sings "Tracks Of My Tears" by this week mentor, Smokey Robinson. I can't deny the fact now that he is one of interesting contestant in this season. Why? He got lots of surprises. Very unpredictable. Though I'm not yet convince and not my favorite yet, Lambert brings a different emotion about the song. He tone down., use his falsetto and sang tenderly. Full of emotion. I felt his performance for the first time... Judges favorite which is very obvious. One of the tight contender to bag the seasons crown.... but odd things can happen.. you know :)

____

Allison Iraheta - sings "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" by The Temptations. What I love about the performance is the that its not a copy cat of the original nor the same tune and arrangement like the past contestant who sang the same song in AI. I just can't remember who perform the same song here(so if somebody can remember please tell me...). The "Dark Horse" in the show?... maybe?.. I'm nearly convince that shes the one need to be watch in this season.. In this point of competition... Adam or Danny can't be sure tobag the title since most of the contestant are growing as a strong contender.

____

Kris Allen - sings "How Sweet It Is". One of my favorite Motown songs popularized by Marvin GAye. Really love the arrangement and the voice. Perfect song choice for him. He didn't hesistate to put some touch of himself in the song. I agree with Kara(who?) for the first time by saying that the song is neither Temptation nor James Taylor version but His. I'm very surprise about the last note of the song.. I can't believe he can pull that off.. great great work. Very soulful and very convincing performance. As Simon says, "Brilliant!"

____

Matt Giraud - sings "Let's Get It On" another from Marvin Gaye. One of my awaited song of the night. Glad my bet didn't let me down. Not the best performance but still a good one from him. He started playing the piano then he gets up to work on the stage which is a good effort from him. Letting him self away on the piano where he is most comfortable with. Randy says, ".. you are challenging them on the top spot" which refer to other front runner and favorites on the show. I love to see him sailed through the final... Hope America will let him reach there. My friend says, "Deserving to be picked back from Wild Card Round"... Agree!

____

Danny Gokey - sings "Get Ready" by Temptations. Okay, he need to stop the dancing thing. It's very disturbing. The first try is okay but he keeps on doing it... wahh.. The vocal is still good, But not on my top list. He still the pick to bag the title this year. Judges Favorite. The one whom they reserving "The Judges Save" for I think. The other judges likes it though. But Simon says, "Clumsy and Amateurish". Not his best but still an average and enough not to be in the last on my list.

____

Anoop Desai - sings "Ooh Baby Baby". I thought not to recognize the tune at first or maybe I just being deaf. Anyway, much better that his past performances. The chorus part for me is a little bit odd but hmmm still acceptable. I like his chest tone more than his head tone.. I agree with the judges about this. His delivery is very tender though.. he tried to feel the song I think.


____

Lil (little) Rounds - sings "Heatwave" by Martha and the Vandellas. I first heard this song in youtube (Thanks Youtube!) and I thought the song is great. I first thought Brandy came to Idol.. hahaha peace! Yeah she looks like Brandy. Okay enough. I thought she will kill that performance.. I thought she will nailed it.. I thought.. I thought....

Well, something is wrong about the performance. She is emotional back in the Motown Museum so I think this add on the outcome of her performance. A bit trying hard. Pitchyness is everywhere. Nice try for her though. She will be back for sure... if not the judges will be force to use their "Save" thing.

____

Scott McIntyre - sings "You Can't Hurry Love" by the Supremes. He plays the piano once again.. He is a great pianist.. really love to watch him playing.. how can he do it? Wahhhh

Okay, reality check, Scott got a heavy criticism from the Judges. He lost the tune on the first high note of the song.. but I still love it. I feel uncomfortable though.. I can't explain why.. there is a moment in his performance where I want to say "Scott, please end it now. I already had and listened enough.. don't worry I still love it" just to save him. Anyway, everyone love Scott. I still believe in him.. and oh.. I like his being sooo inocent :). Scott is love!

____

Megan Joy Corkrey - sings "For Once In My Life" by Stevie Wonder. Another Motown song favorites. Hmmmm, I don't know how to start. Ei, shes beautiful last night.. like the bangle and the hair dress :D.

Okay, I love the song but I'm not convince in her interpretation. The arrangement is okay but the phrasing is not. Simon says she is in serious trouble and commented " Horrible and Atrocious". But I still have faith.. I will still see her.. It's not her time to exit yet.. yey!

____

Michael Sarver - sings "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" by Temptation. Okay, I want him to stop the first he hit the note. I can't bear to listen to him longer. Everything is wrong. I don't know. (hater? me? hmmm maybe.. hahaha!). There is only one type of song he can nailed though.. he is a Balladeer. He had this huge voice for ballad. Well he is my pick to be ousted since last week.. I think this is the moment...

____

So as I said, my picked to leave on elimination night would be Michael. Bottom 3 for me would be Michael Sarver, Megan Joy Corkrey and Scott McIntyre. But since people love underdogs, it could be change to Mike, Megan and Lil or Mike, Megan and Anoop. But people love Anoop. Asian- American will definitely save him so I will stay on my first choice.

Ruben Studdard (AI2 winner) and Stevie Wonder will perform on the elimination show.. yehey!

No comments: