Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Other Side Of Our Journey

Its was almost noon of Maundy Thursday when we reached Perhentian and was able to booked a place to stay for the rest of our holidays in the Island when we decided to go straight away to the beach to save time. Without rest, we enjoyed the heat of the sun which was started to shine that time. It wasn't hot that a mademoiselle from France told me that she was a bit disappointed about the weather. She was told by a friend that it was great to visit the island because of the warm place. Well for most of Asians like me... the weather was enough not to darker our skin more since we have no plan to sun bathe.

After a few minutes, I decided to swim on the clear sea water. My friends didn't join me and just satisfied themselves laying on the sand. There are some people who are already there, some surfing enthusiast who waits for the right waves and some who are already swimming. I paddle for a couple of minutes... playing and swimming along and against the waves. I really enjoy the moment. Swimming is one of my outlets to distress and being in a great beach like Perhentian adds up on me being more relaxed.

Roughly 20 minutes after, I felt tired but ignored the urge to take a rest. I still continue paddling when I noticed that I can't move forward. Waves becoming bigger and they take me farther. I tried to use breast stroke so that I can see if I can make it near the shore, nothing happens. I tried to do free style but I felt the pressure on my legs and arms. I take a rest and float for a while and try again. I'm worrying already that I can't really make it. I wasn't on hysterical yet but my mind tells me that I really need help... Then I made a decision....

I let my self sink first and push my body up to breathe some air before I cried for attention... I battled on the sound of waves to call for help. It was on my 4th or 5th call when a group of people notice me. And before another wave hit my body... I saw them move urgently nearer to save me. When I make sure that help is coming, I float again and wait for them to grab me. The first word I said to them when they came is... "Sorry".

"Are you with someone?" they ask.
"No, my friends are at shore", I replied.

I kept my body relaxed while my mind works and think how stupid I am to be in that situation... nearly drowned.

When we finally got in to the shallow part of the sea, I stand and give my never-ending thanks to them. I return back to my friends who don't have any idea on what happen. I don't want to scare them and spoiled their vacation. I lie on my back and close my eyes to relax... and there I found that I am really tired... I fell asleep for a couple of minutes and rethink on what happen when I woke up. I saw the group who help me and ask for their contact info... (I learn that they are from Czech Republic) Take some of their pictures and gave thanks again for helping me...

No comments: