Thursday, April 2, 2009

American Idol 8 Top 09 - Performances

Okay, I never heard what the "Theme" for this week is. It's just yesterday when I found out that for the first time the contestant were given the liberty to choose a song of today... to be current.

But wait, am I heard it right? They are choosing any song they like as long as it is popular downloads on I-tunes... hmmm any song that can be downloaded on I-tunes makes it popular.. right? so It doesn't mean that we can only heard current song on this episode.... anyway....

....I'm hoping to be entertained since I have a strong feeling that at this point, these contestants knows where their comfort zones lies on. To choose songs that will benefit their vocal qualities and to show what kind of singers they are. But I was confused. I thought I was on a different world.. I can't feel them.. I felt unattached on the show.. from my own favorites.. :(


Well, there are still standouts from the night shows.. vocals are still there. I think thats enough to move on. My list shows the strongest to weakest performances last night...

____

Kris Allen - sings "Ain't Know Sunshine". An old song which Kris made new. An awesome arrangement and performance from this unnoticeable guy. He can no longer stand behind the shadow of well pimped Adam and Danny.. He is one of the "Front Runner" now. From the past 3 weeks in a row, he shows us what he can do.. what he is. He grow fast and keep growing still. I now believe in him... He can hold on till the end I bet. The best performance of the night for me. Kara says, "That is artistry"... I agree!

____

Danny Gokey - sings "What Hurts The Most" by Rascal Flatts. Okay, I'm actually think twice before I put him on the second spot. I considered Adam to be on this spot but I change my mind and weigh their performance based on sincerity.. where I feel connected.. a little.

So there is Danny wins the second spot on my list. He tried to reach some higher notes there but fails. Some sounds are not good.. But the performance is full of emotions... I feel it. Simon says, "This week, I thought, it was your best performance".

____

Adam Lambert - sings "Play That Funky Music". Back to his over-the-top performance, he tried to make this one of the old song current. It doesn't sound current to me, but I still agree that he can sing any songs he want to sing. I like the first part of the arrangement. I like his look now.. I mean the face without black eyeliner... He looks clean. "True genius", says Paula.

____

Scott McIntyre - sings "Just The Way You Are" by Billy Joel. I like the song.. the performance is above average. He looks like struggling to reach some notes there.. I still love the piano and watching him play. His best performance I think. Better than his Jackson's night. Don't like the hair though. He is still an inspiration.. Randy says, "One of the best". This performance help him stay in the show longer.. a week or two I think. Scott is Love!

____

Allison Iraheta - Sings "Don't Speak". The judges commented more on her outfit and not the vocals. Well I think she is quite good. The correct song choice for her. She got the chops and do well on the phrasing of the song. She didn't try to be somebody.. she try to be her.. her alone. The judges are really harsh on her... Simon says, "You shouted the song"... I think.. NOT!

____

Lil (little) Rounds - sings "Surrender" by Celine Dion. Well this is the shouting they talking about. Shes trying to be somebody.. Theres no uniqueness on that performance. The arrangement is not different from the original. She's loosing herself there.. Anthony Federov out-sang her in this one. Simon says, "I found it quite similar to a wedding performance".

I was touch by her children... She cried seeing them off stage :(.

____

Anoop Desai - sings Usher song, "Caught Up". I don't know how to say this right.. but argh!, I'm not loving it. His vocal is still there. Performance is a bit "trying-hard". A very amateur performance for me. He tried to hang on. Kara calls it as Frat-Boys performance.... hmmm

____

Matt Giraud - sings "You Found Me". To try new, he sings around the bunch of audiences. The song choice is definitely not right for him. The vibrato is in force. The soul voice is no where to be found. I'm lost on the performance. He seems like not so comfortable. Everything is flying. I'm worried that this might be his last performance... NO! He can still hang on.

____

Megan Joy Corkrey - sings "Turn Your Light Down Low". I thought this song is good for her. But there are lots of pitch problem toward the performance. I love the song. I like the fact that she tried her best to deliver the song to us. I'm afraid this is her moment.. but I want to believe she will be saved.

____

As I said, I want to believe that my favorites will be saved for elimination.. We love them, right? We want more from them. That is if every one agree to throw votes to save them. My bottom three would be Anoop, Matt and Megan.

If I will believe on a clear sign, Megan or Matt will be leaving us. Matt the very first since no one loves him. Megan is pretty and Simon loves her so she still got a slight change to come back. If America vote right base on the performances of the night.. Megan will be in trouble. And if that happen the Judges will not save her. Definitely not!

My choice to be eliminated would be Anoop. His light keeps on dimming.

If there is another shock elimination like what happen on country night... It will be Lil.

No comments: