Thursday, April 23, 2009

American Idol 8 Top 07.b - Performance (Disco)

I really had a very tough week but I'm still glad I manage to watch one of my favorite shows. I really tried to concentrate to feel connected on what I am watching but in someways, I felt so lost. Not sure why. What I know is that I still love this show.


Game!

This week theme... Disco Music! What can we expect?,... more of upbeat music and dancing. Who among the remaining Idols are good in dancing or let say, can really work the stage? 1 or 2? Believe me most of them didn't know how to work the stage. But did we witnessed all of what we expecting on the night's theme? NO! And because of that, I feel great... and relief :)

Relief, because I don't want to see another Danny Gokey's PYT move, I don't want to see another "Beat It" performance and another Justin Timberlake's move copy cat. (Okay, the last can be forgiven).

Who excel on this week performance? Did Adam does his thing? Did Matt proved again that he is worth to stay? How Kris manage to surpass the challenge to be away on his comfort zone? Is this the moment for Lil to showcase what she is in the music industry?

The verdict. All in all, I think the night performances are interesting. There are obvious standouts who out-shines the other. And here are my lists...

____

Kris Allen - sings "She Works Hard For The Money". And yeah, that great acoustic version and good arrangement was the best performance of the night. By singing a girl song and made it as his own is probably one of the best and bravest decision made on this show. Very impressive. Paula says "There aren't many men who are willing to shop in the woman's department. Your shopped and found a perfect fit." Every one loves the performance. I bet on that.

____

Adam Lambert - sings "If I Can't Have You". I never on my wild dream expect that Adam will not do his things on "Disco Night". We used to see him jumping around and screaming and this theme perfectly fit his style. Not been a fan of him, but I can't deny that he has a big change to bag this season's title. I'm not familiar with the song but I feel connected on him on some part of it. The vocal is there, less the growling sounds which i hate a lot, and you can feel the emotions. He just lost me when the song started to come to its end. Still one of his best.

____

Allison Iraheta - sings "Hot Stuff". One of my favorite performances from her. She plays on the arrangement and it really paid off. Like her growling sound... hahaha. Big note at the end. She is indeed the hope of the girls on this competition. Self aware on what she can do and she is not afraid to show it. I like the arrangement really, unlike Randy who says "I didn't love the arrangement, it was a little over-indulgent for me... but you're one of the best singers in this competition."

____

Matt Giraud - sings "Staying Alive". A metaphor of him being save last time as per Seacrest, I thought that his performance save him for another week or two. He hits some high notes there. Pleasant to hear and he is staying in tune. I just always worrying about his falsetto which he haven't mastered yet. I really like him to sail through the finals... but having Kris, Allison and Adam as the Front Runners, the best he can reach is top 4 or 3. The judges love his performance but not Simon who says, "... It come a cross a bit desperate". Hay... well...

____

Danny Gokey - sings "September". This is one of the song that I want to hear on any disco houses which make me dance. One of Danny's weak performance I would say. He is shouting most of the time. Never mind the dancing now... it is still bearable... hahaha. Kara says "You are an incredible vocalist...your pitch is so right on... you never have an issue". Hmm, I think Kara is deaf... she hadn't heard the yelling? Wow.


____

Anoop Desai - sings "Dim All The Lights". He really is not fit to do upbeat songs. The first part of the performance is okay, but got dull when it goes to up tempo. He also seems to be not comfortable on what he is doing up on stage. Anyway, I know someone who will love what ever he does. Simon says, "That was mediocre at best. I prayed that the tempo wouldn't come in. It was horrible version of that song... genuinely that was your worst performance by a mile". Wow, he really throw him under the bus!

____

Lil Rounds - sings "I'm Every Woman". It was a karaoke version of the song at its best. Totally off pitch. I'm really sad to see what happens to her. She is one of the contestant who lost her own identity throughout the competition. She is confused. Geez. I can't stop my self to compare her to what happens to Von Smith who follows the judges advice and lost his self because of that. This is the last time we can see Lil on the competition I'm sure.

____

So there, its very predictable who will be going home after watching all the contestant performed. Since the "Veto" was used to save a person last week, two of the hopefuls will be voted off on the elimination night. This was cleared by Simon last week. I think Anoop and Lil sings their last songs on the show. But I'm also worrying that Matt is one of the two who will be leaving due to lack of support from his fans.

I'm also open to a shock elimination which I been waiting for the past 4 or 5 weeks now. My top pick to be eliminated if ever we had the unexpected elimination would be Danny Gokey but I will be so much grateful if its Adam who will be the one to go home... hahaha.

But if America hear the right notes and favored everything and follow the right ways of picking the weak performers...

... Lil and Anoop will say goodbye to us.

2 comments:

Nomad said...

I'm still shocked at how Kris has emerged all of a sudden as such a major player, bravo for him

About Me said...

Hi Nomad,

Thanks for dropping by. And yeah, I am too impressed on how this guy became one of the strong contender this year. Remember in the top 36 when he sang "Man in the mirror"? I am, that time, not convinced that he, of all early favorites, got through... now atleast I proved my self wrong.