Thursday, October 4, 2007

Desperate Housewives’ “foul” remark about Medical School in the Philippines

Well well well, I haven’t got any time to blog for the past days and now here I am posting about the scene in a recent episode of well-known TV show Desperate Housewives’ which I and other Filipinos found offensive and racist. Thanks to my collegue who sent the email this morning.

In one scene, Susan Mayer Delfino, played by Teri Hatcher, is talking with her OB-gyne. She tells this line which made us Filipinos offended:

Okay, before we go any further, can I check those diplomas? Coz I would just like to make sure they are not from some med school in the Philippines”.

Filipinos are talented and smart… we all know that. That’s why I can’t under stand why this show just throw an insult just like that. Maybe for some who already watch the full episode(which exlude me) found it funny, but for me, a sensitive dialogue or issue like that should be carefully watchout…it’s a foul.

I know some medical people graduated in reputable Med Shools in the country who excels on their field of specialties. I also have some friends studying medical courses who put their hearts, focus hard and very much dedicated on their studies. How do you think they react once they heard these lines? Blown, isulted and offended.. same as me. Am I sound like I am one of them? No.. im not! Im not Medical Professional but I really feel hurt!

Bang!


Same post can also be found on my friendster account @ http://lonerboyfox.blogs.friendster.com/my_blog/

No comments: